You might have heard of carbon monoxide as a silent killer. It’s truly undetectable to the human eye and nose and hundreds of people die from it every year in the United States.
This gas has no color or odor and forms from gas, oil, wood, and coal as a result of faulty appliances and other sources in your home. Some places carbon monoxide originates from include:
- Stoves and ovens
- Clothes dryers
- Grills (gas and charcoal)
- Automobile engines
- And more
These sources are found in almost every home, and if they’re malfunctioning or installed poorly, they could put you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. If the gas is present in your home, the only way to make sure you’re aware of it is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Where to avoid installing your carbon monoxide detector
If you’ve recently purchased a carbon monoxide detector, you’ve made a great decision that could save your life in the future. However, there are places in your home to avoid when choosing a place to install it. Places to avoid include:
- Immediate proximity of fuel-burning appliances (under 5 feet away)
- Bathrooms and other humid areas
- Near places where chemicals are stored, such as kitchens
- Garages, furnace rooms, or other dusty and dirty places.
- Crawlspaces, attics, and porches
- Near ceiling fans, vents, A/C units, and windows
Seems like there are a lot of places to avoid, right? It may seem tedious, but you can never be too careful when it comes to carbon monoxide and safety.
Where to install your carbon monoxide detector
Now that you know some bad locations for a carbon monoxide detector, it’s important to know the good locations. The best parts of your house to install a carbon monoxide detector include:
- 10 feet or less from each bedroom door and close to all sleeping areas
- Each and every floor of the house
- Close to, but not directly above, combustion appliances like furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces
- On the ceiling of rooms with a permanently installed fuel-burning appliances
- Every HVAC zone of the house (and commercial buildings)
Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas that must be taken seriously. In addition to adding detectors to your home, you should also consider home inspections and yearly appliance inspections. If you need a home inspection, we’re here to help. Contact us today to schedule a home inspection!